HOME            ABOUT           PHOTOS           TRAVEL             LIFESTYLE            WRITINGS





25 January 2015

Confessions of a Girl who moved to London


Moving houses is never easy. Moving houses to a different country, is a different story. I moved to London right after I graduated high school in the Philippines. I was seventeen then. Migrating to a foreign country was tough at seventeen. I felt like I have established my self and my life already in the Philippines. I have gone through the awkward stages of early teens, graduated high school and ready to enter college. I have built relationships and friendships... I was happy with my life. That's why it was tough. Migrating meant that I had to leave it all behind. Leave my home, my family, my friends. I left that version of my self behind.

I was never keen on migrating because I did not want to start all over again. You know what I mean? But little did I know, there is so much more ahead of me. I didn't realise that I was living in this tiny bubble and there are so much more I can, and will do, see and learn... UNTIL. I MOVED.










I would say that the best thing that I have acquired since I lived here in London is PERSPECTIVE. Stepping out of my comfort zone surely has its perks. It opened my eyes to different facets of life I haven't experienced before, and gave me, again, a perspective; and because I was given the chance to look at things in a different and wider point of view, I am able to build my beliefs, principles around it and most of all, understand.


This is why I believe that everything happens for a reason. Even the things I don't want to happen has its purpose. Or I learn something from it at least.  


Let me expand on this.





First, perspective on culture. The United Kingdom is a country that is extremely diverse. You can meet different people who came from all parts of the globe. Being immersed in this sea of diverse culture definitely made me learn a lot. I mean, a lot. It's actually very interesting to know about how people lived their lives in a different continent and what their values are. I wouldn't deny that I was culture shocked on my first months here. Not to mention, the struggle of understanding accents. Generally, people are polite and sometimes, overly affectionate. I was surprised a stranger called me darling after saying sorry because he bumped me in the bus. I have learned about how some cultures are the same as mine while others are completely different. Some can lay completely naked in the park, while some prefer to cover their bodies from head to toe. There are cultures who value independence and leave their home at an early age, while some value family more and live with them until they're married.






Perspective on religion. With a diversity of culture comes a diversity of religion as well. I have been surrounded by a lot of people with different beliefs and faith. Those who believe in God and those who don't. But despite all these differences, I have understood that religion is not something to be looked down upon and a reason to discriminate others. Being friends with people with different faiths disproved the negative stereotypes of people in a particular religion, and made me see we're all the same. We're all humans.







Perspective on friends. Ever since, I am very picky with friends. But since I moved here then I understood the importance of being picky. Haha. I knew the importance of surrounding myself with the right people because sooner or later I know I will become like them. Birds with the same feathers flock together, right? But most of all, since I moved here in London, I knew who my real friends are. How? Simple. My bestest friends from the Philippines who stayed and still supported me although I'm miles away, are to keep forever.











Perspective on my own country. Having the chance to stand back and look at my country from the other side of the world sure is something. I have to admit that it is very easy to just compare the Philippines to the U.K and criticise it for all the bad things going on. But at the same time, being in a western country made me proud of where I came from, because there are things in the Philippines that I could not find here. Philippines has the best mangoes, beaches and the nicest people. Above all, we value family, and having family trips, celebrations and taking care of them until they're old.

Perspective on my self. Moving here changed a part of me. I've never felt sure and confident of who I am. I learned to be independent and develop life skills. I never thought I'd be driving around London, to be honest. Haha. I learned to stand up for what I believe in, be brave and be set apart. I look at my self now and I don't regret anything. 


I could go on and on and on but this will become a novel. Haha. To wrap things up, it took time for me to settle in and adjust to a new setting. Now, I consider London as my second home. Sure, I constantly feel homesick and wish I can just travel back to the Philippines, but I could not deny all the good things that God has blessed me with since I moved. These experiences from the last 3 years I've lived here sure are life changing and full of lessons. Now I am confident to dream bigger and go farther because now I know that my life doesn't have to be confined in my comfort zone. There are so much to come my way if I step out and see the world.

12 comments:

  1. I seriously don't get why you only have 6 followers on Bloglovin'! This story (and you whole blog) is so inspiring, and I love the pictures and the lay-out of this blogpost! Are those pictures your own polaroids, and if so, did you scan them in? Love from the Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh thank you very much Eline!! You made me so happy!! :) <3 I made those polaroids in an app!!!

      Delete
  2. Gaining a perspective on anything is a feat all on its own. What a wonderful thing to learn at such a young age! Great read, Chrizzia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that I have learned it at a young age :) a lot of thanks again Shayne! <3

      Delete
  3. Ate Chrizzia!!! Your blog is so nice hehe :D So inspiring and genuine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Luis!!! Thank you!! That meant a lot. Thaaaanksss!!!! <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love!
    Fangirl-ing you from the far far away motherland <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nickiiiiii!!!! Thank yooouuu :"""> Hope to see you soon! xx

      Delete
  5. This blog needs more views and followers! where all the famous bloggers at?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Chrizzia hearing all these words from a young lady like you really impresses me. Which really shows you've learned a lot moving from one place to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much (kuya?) Chester! Haha :p You made my daaaay :)

      Delete